Who is the CNG Rebels Hockey Club?
- The CNG Rebels is a privately owned Hockey Club in the Grande Prairie AB region. We are a member of the Hockey Super League, and cater to minor hockey aged players U9 to U16.
What is our mission?
- Our mission is to provide an alternative to local minor hockey programs. We also provide the appropriate developmental paths as stated in the Hockey Canada Development Guide. As well as provide a safe, political free atmosphere for players and families, with a main focus on our culture of excellence.
Is there any difference in format from Hockey Canada?
- Some of the substantial differences include:
- Geography; players can come from anywhere to play on an HSL team and have zero restrictions to choose which team to play for.
- Contact; in the contact divisions, there are modified checking rules to create more speed in a game and prevent brain injuries, this is similar to the CIS and NCAA contact system.
- Development Plan; It should be said, that our development plan is exactly what Hockey Canada would expect from their members, but it has been unachievable in minor hockey, we however follow this religiously and we can because we use qualified non-parent coaching and supply the appropriate ice-time to implement this plan.
- Referees; Finally the referees are members of the HSL, and have an entirely different approach. We are required to work respectfully together and build a relationship with our officials and I can say it has been great by comparison to Hockey Alberta.
Is the CNG Rebels just a spring hockey league?
- No, we offer a regular season alternative to local minor hockey programs, and run from August/September until March of the following year.
What does a season with the CNG Rebels cost?
- CNG Rebels registration fees are $6500.00 per player which covers the costs of the program. Hockey Super League registration fees are $680.00 for new players, returning players will receive a discount on their HSL fees.
What is included with the CNG Rebels registration?
- The cost of registration and fees for the CNG Rebels provides the following:
- Busing; all busing to and from all showcases (family members are welcome on the bus).
- Player Development; a player development plan from the team coach, implementing Hockey Canada's development program.
- Games; 32 game regular season schedule & playoff weekend showcase (4-6 games).
- Coaching Staff; Head Coach (non-parent), Assistant Coach, Team Manager and full-time team trainer.
- Practice time; Between 80-120 hours of practice ice time.
- Goaltenders; Goaltenders receive specialized training from LGI Goaltending instructor.
- Power Skating; Power Skating with Tanya Chomyc and Power Plus Hockey Skating.
- Off Ice Performance Training; Off Ice Performance training with VO2 Max fitness trainer.
- Nutrition Training; Nutrition Training with Patti Robinson, professional fitness trainer & certified nutrition coach.
- Players future coordinator; Marc Beaudoin, current Northern Alberta Scout for the Whitecourt Wolverines, past trainer for GP Storm and Past Athletic trainer for the Medicine Hat Tigers(WHL).
- Ernies Sports Experts; Video stick session, helmet session and skate alignment session.
- Meditation training; Crystal Kirkham, BA in Sociology, Chopra certified primordial sound meditation teacher.
- Gear Provided includes; helmet, gloves, pant shells, hockey bag, game jersey, socks, dryland shorts/shirt, track suit, stick tape, sock tape, stick butts, laces, water bottles, and skate sharpening.
- Players will also be featured in a player handbook and on social media.
What is included with the Hockey Super League Registration?
- The fees for the Hockey Super League cover a practice jersey, socks, HSL Hoodie, HSL hat, player insurance and administrative fees.
Are we fully insured?
- Yes, we are fully insured through the Hockey Super League (HSL). All players, Coaches, Staff & Officials are fully covered.
How much travel is involved in a season?
- Expect 8 showcase weekends and one playoff weekend, for a total of 9 traveling weekends on average for each team.
What is the level of competition within the HSL?
- HSL hockey is classified as "gold level spring programs", but we do have options to play in the Major (AAA) or Minor (AA) division of each age group so we can have a competitive atmosphere for all of our teams.
What are some additional costs that may arise?
- Potentially, if a team decides to go to tournaments, team building events, or any other unlisted event, these will not be covered within the CNG budget. The families are required to tend to their food and lodging during showcases as well.
What are the fundraising options & expectations?
- Fundraising to cover costs is entirely up to the individual family, and will be given the option to work alone fundraising for your player or as part of the team. Every player will have a personal account with CNG and statements are sent out regularly with your current financial position with regard to fees. We do offer an excellent sponsorship and fundraising program to bring the direct cost to families to as low as zero if chosen. The average cost after fundraising and sponsorship per player in 2019-2020 was less than $3000 and 8 players played this past season at no cost at all, after applying their sponsorships and fundraising efforts to their account.
Does the CNG Rebels offer coaching and volunteer positions?
- Yes we are always looking for talent to join our team. We are regularly seeking applications for Coaches, Assistant Coaches, and Trainers each season. Some of these are paid positions. If you are interested please contact email@example.com
Where are CNG REBELS team practices held?
- We consider ourselves a regional organization and fully intend on supporting our regional facilities. Potential practice facilities include:
- Hythe Arena, Crosslink County Sportsplex, LaGlace Arena, Grovedale Arena, Coca Cola Centre, Dave Barr Arena, Revolution Place, Rycroft Arena, Wembley Arena
Do you offer anything for Rec Players?
- Unfortunately at this time we do not.
Do you offer alternative tryouts other than the scheduled dates?
- Unfortunately at this time we only run one Identification Camp after our playoffs are over. Any player unable to make the ID camp dates but would still like to be considered for a team, MUST register for the ID Camp and contact Guy Anthony immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org Any player that fails to register regardless of attendance or premade arrangements will be deemed as not interested.